Saturday, February 2, 2008

Please Vote for a Democrat!!!

It has been two weeks since my last post, and tonight I feel I have nothing to say, which is unusual for me. Seldom do two weeks pass without my being passionately moved by some thought that must find its way to the written page.

Actually, as I think over the past two weeks, I believe the problem is not one of lack of passion, but more likely an emotional overload, which has left me quiet and empty -- not devoid of feeling, but overwhelmed. My days have been filled with the mechanics of life, and my mind has been filled with financial worries and personal stresses. Our business, which burst with promise two years ago has stumbled limply along in this fragile economy. My frequently depressed husband is once more on a downward course. I have worked hard for so many years, and resent the struggles I must now endure. I look with envy at friends who are retiring with comfortable incomes -- knowing in my heart that my own choices have contributed to my financial insecurity -- but still feeling anger that my years of struggle have reaped no benefit.

I watch the political debates with a sense of extreme urgency -- we must elect a President who champions the middle and lower classes. I listen to Mitt Romney and I want to spit. He talks about our free market economy adjusting itself -- and then I read the newspaper articles about the oil companies' record profits in these past few months while hard-working Americans are paying exorbitant prices to fill their gas tanks and heat their homes. We have become the second "Gilded Age". I believe deeply that the free market cannot adjust enough to provide adequate incomes for average Americans when the wealthiest among us greedily amass profits at the expense of the rest of us.

I am tired -- and I know there are millions of Americans tonight who are just as weary as I am. We work and struggle and juggle our families and jobs and bills and suddenly a day comes when we are drained -- today is that day for me.

No comments: