Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mothers' Day

Mothers' Day this year will be bittersweet.  My mother-in-law is no longer with us, so this will be my first Mothers' Day with no "mother" to celebrate -- placing flowers on her grave is no substitute for seeing her eyes light up with pleasure for a special gift.  The gift of my brand new granddaughter, Emma, is the highlight of my own Mothers' Day this year, though.

As always, Mothers' Day is one of my favorite holidays for pondering and remembering.  I was fortunate to be raised by a loving mother and additionally blessed to have my grandmother living with us throughout my childhood.  The unconditional love of two "mothers" is truly a gift to a little girl.  Both my mother and grandmother have been gone from my life now for a long time, but their words echo in my heart every day.  I am thankful for the loving bonds we shared and for their patience and encouragement in shaping the mother and grandmother I have become. 

I give thanks for my Aunt Irene, also gone from my life now, but forever a part of lovely childhood memories.  While raising two daughters of her own, she always had time to listen to and love her nieces. 

My Aunt Bonnie is still a loving presence in my life.  She has a large flock of children, step-children, grandchildren, nieces & nephews, and children of her heart that she loves and prays for.  I am particularly grateful to her for holding us all in her heart.

And now, I have a new generation of mothers to be thankful for -- my two daughters-in-law, who have blessed me with four precious grandchildren.  Tomorrow morning we will gather together for brunch, to celebrate our special day.  There is nothing more wonderful than to be surrounded by your children and grandchildren on Mothers' Day. 

Motherhood is a gift in itself, and those of us who were "well-mothered" ourselves are doubly blessed.  How wonderful it is to have a special day set aside to celebrate the mothers in our lives.  

No comments: