Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mothers' Day

I was blessed with a gentle, caring mother who filled my childhood with the security of unconditional love and emotional support. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2001, so as I celebrate Mothers' Day each year, my joy is shadowed by her absence.

My heart also remembers with sadness my first baby girl who was stillborn. Thirty-four years have come and gone, but I carry her in my heart always.

For the most part, though, Mothers' Day is one of my very favorite holidays. Tomorrow I will gather for a special lunch with my children, my daughters-in-law, and my grandchildren, and I will cherish every second. For me, it is an especially meaningful celebration, because my granddaughter was born this year, and my new little grandson will be born in the next week or two.

I knew from childhood that I wanted to be a mother. It was not as easily accomplished as I had planned -- pregnancies did not happen quickly for me, and I was devastated by the loss of my first baby. Ultimately, though, I was blessed with three healthy children -- I think maybe children are even more precious to us when they don't come easily.

There is no greater happiness than the moment when your newborn baby is placed in your arms; the depth of your love is astounding, and it grows deeper each year as you watch this innocent baby through the stages of childhood, adolescence, and finally maturity. And then comes the blessing of grandchildren --

Each Mothers' Day I celebrate anew the gift of my children, and now my grandchildren. I don't need flowers and gifts and cards -- their faces and voices and hugs are more than enough!!

No comments: